Utrecht (pronunciation help·info) is a municipality and the capital city of the Dutch province of Utrecht. It is the fourth largest city of the Netherlands.
- Dom church , The Gothic Dom church (built between 1284 and 1520) is the major religious building in the city. When a hurricane hit the town in 1674, the badly constructed nave collapsed, which is the reason that today the Domtoren (Bell Tower) and the church itself are separated by the Domplein (Dom Square). The interior of the church was stripped down of every sculpture during Reformation, but the exterior remains a lavishly decorated example of Dutch Gothic architecture.
- 112 meter tall Domtoren is the highest church tower in the Netherlands. Climbing up the stairs to see the magnificent view on the top is highly recommended.
- Next to the Dom church, the cloister garden is ideal to sit down and relax, and listen to a Saturday morning carillon concert.
- Oude Gracht - A canal going through the heart of the city, with shops and restaurants on both sides. This canal is unique because of its many pittoresque cellars on water level. Centuries ago they were used for storage and commerce. Nowadays, many of them host fine restaurants and pubs. In the summer you can find nice terraces at the water here.
- The Vismarkt (Fishmarket, a lovely street in the plain centre).
- . The oldest municipal museum in the Netherlands. It has a large art collection including the world's largest collection of Rietveld designs and a permanent exhibition on Dick Bruna.
- has a large collection of historic Christian items. The main part is closed for renovation until Spring 2006.
- is a museum on all kinds of mechanical music, including carillon clocks, musical boxes, pianolas, belly organs and much more.
- is the Dutch Railway Museum. It reopened in June 2005 after a intensive renovation
- . A museum on the history of the .
- is the museum of Utrecht University.
- De Uithof, which is the campus of Utrecht University on the outskirts of Utrecht, near the stadium of FC Utrecht. There are several buildings here that are designed by famous modern architects as well as a beautiful botanical garden that is 8 acres big and houses 6 thousand different sorts of plants. Next to the plants there live a lot of different animals.
- . The city theatre.
- , for the whole town.
- Rietveld Schroder House for full details. The Rietveld-SchrÃ¶derhuis, designed by Gerrit Rietveld, was built in 1923-1924 in Utrecht. The structure of the house is completely in line with the the ideas of the art movement De Stijl (The Style). The house was designed and built for Truus SchrÃ¶der-SchrÃ¤der, who lived there from 1924 till her death in 1985. It can only be visited under supervision of a tour guide. In 2000 the house was placed on the .</see>
Utrecht city 25-03-2007
Utrecht...Utrecht trip estella
Utrecht Netherlands, City, Life and University
EGEA (European Geography Association) Utrecht. Thanks a lot for welcoming us and showing your nice city!...Utrecht Netherlands City Centre Uni University Library EGEA
utrecht con amigos
Natasja. Musica de Joaquin Sabina y Muddy Waters. Utrecht, city trip, dom tower....Utrecht Dom tower domtoren winkel van sinkel flower market canals
City of Utrecht
City of Utrecht...utrecht
Autumn in the City
, in Utrecht... It's autumn, in Utrecht Es otoÃ±o, en Utrecht. E otogno, in Utrecht...autumn otoÃ±o herfst italiano utrecht ornella
Space Cake Babies in Utrecht
of Amsterdam. We flew with our power of imagination to Utrecht which is perhaps the most plesant city in Holland. This is the storyl of what we saw
Utrecht Utrecht Utrecht!
Wijken...Utrecht wijken overvecht ondiep centrum Dom herman van veen city holland center studenten students kanaleneiland
Estella in Utrecht city...Utrecht park Estella
A2 and A12 near Utrecht, the 4th largest city of the Netherlands, taken on a quiet sunday afternoon...A2 A12 Utrecht Leidsche Rijn Netherlands Motorway Dutch
i love utrecht
the best city in holland...utrecht art director wanted
walking in greatest city ever
this is a little bit of utrecht, where everything takes place on bikes and nobody's angry....utrecht
N11 Alphen Aquaduct
The N11 semi-motorway which has an expensive aquaduct near the city of Alphen, but sadly enough traffic lights at both ends of the aquaduct.
Nearest places of interest:
|Freudenthal institute for science and mathematics education|
|Rietveld SchrÃ¶der House|