(close)
Find hotels near Corinth

Videos:

More videos

Corinth

Interesting places in Corinth:
Central Park Perivolakia   Square Eleftherios Venizelos
Corinth Town Rail Station   ΕΘΝΙΚΟ ΣΤΑΔΙΟ ΚΟΡΙΝΘΟΥ
6ο Σύνταγμα Πεζικού   Κατάστημα LIDL
Δημοτικό Αθλητικό Κέντρο Κορίνθου   Corinth New Rail Station
Pas Korinthos Football ground(sinikismos)   University of Peloponnese
Πανεπιστήμιο Πελοποννήσου  

Corinth, or Korinth (Greek: Ko'rintho*s, Krinthos; see also List of traditional Greek place names) was a Greek city-state, on the Isthmus of Corinth, the narrow stretch of land that joins the Peloponnesus to the mainland of Greece. To the west of the isthmus lies the Gulf of Corinth, to the east lies the Saronic Gulf. Corinth is about 48 miles (78 km) southwest of Athens. The isthmus, which was in ancient times traversed by hauling ships over the rocky ridge on sledges, is now cut by a canal.

Location is derived from the great work of WikiMapia

Top photos chosen by u all:

Ancient Corinth - Temple of Octavia (Roman)

Ancient Corinth - Temple of Octavia (Roman)
Made by greekstifado - Yanni
Ancient Corinth - Temple of Octavia The three surviving columns of the great temple build in memory of Octavia, the sister of Emperor Augustus. The temple represents the imperial cult of Rome, which was spread throughout the empire. The site of ancient Corinth was first inhabited in the Neolithic period (5000-3000 BC), and flourished as a major Greek city from the 8th century BC until its destruction by the Romans in 146 BC. Its commanding position on the Isthmus of Corinth, the narrow strip of land that separates the Peloponnese from northern Greece, was the primary basis of its importance. In Greek mythology, it was in Corinth that Jason, the leader of the Argonauts, abandoned Medea. During the Trojan War Corinthians participated under the leadership of Agamemnon. Being a leading naval power as well as a rich commercial city enabled ancient Corinth to establish colonies in Syracuse on the island of Sicily. Beginning in 582 BC, in the spring of every second year the Isthmian Games were celebrated in honor of the sea god Poseidon. The Corinthians developed the Corinthian order, the third order of the classical architecture after the Ionic and the Doric. The city was a major participant in the Persian Wars, offering forty war ships in the sea Battle of Salamis. After the end of the Peloponnesian War, Corinth and Thebes, which were former allies with Sparta in the Peloponnesian League, had grown dissatisfied with the hegemony of Sparta and started the Corinthian War against it. Corinth was conquered by Philip II of Macedon in 338 BC, but it was named the meeting place of Philip's new Hellenic confederacy. After Philip was assassinated, Alexander the Great immediately came to Corinth to meet with the confederacy, confirm his leadership, and forestall any thoughts of rebellion. At the Isthmian Games of 336 BC, the Greeks chose Alexander the Great to lead them in war against the Persians. Corinth was partially destroyed by the Romans in 146 BC, but in 44 BC it was rebuilt as a Roman city under Julius Caesar. The Apostle Paul visited Corinth in the 50s AD and later wrote two letters to the Christian community at Corinth (the books of Corinthians in the New Testament). Although Paul intended to pass through Corinth a second time before he visited Macedonia, circumstances were such that he first went from Troas to Macedonia before stopping at Corinth for a second benefit. In 267 AD, the invasion of the Herulians initiated the decline of the city. During Alaric's invasion of Greece in 395–396, he destroyed Corinth and sold many of its citizens into slavery. Nevertheless, Corinth remained inhabited for many centuries through successive invasions, destructions and plagues.

Fountain of Peirene information

Fountain of Peirene information
Made by JohnMPruitt
Peirene is one of the most important topoi in the urban landscape of both Greek and Roman Corinth. Human activity is attested in the area from the Neolithic period, and the first efforts in water management date to the Geometric period. The facility was gradually embellished from the Archaic period forward, so that by the 2nd century B.C., it consisted of six chambers providing access to three deep drawn basins supplied with water by conduits excavated hundreds of meters back under the forum. The water was stored in four huge reservoirs. Peirene was one of the first structures rebuilt after the establishment of the Roman colony. The fountain was now housed within a large rectangular court. The facade of this phase had Doric half-columns between arches framing the earlier antechambers. The second storey was a solid wall with engaged Ionic half-columns. The Doric and Ionic blind colonnade also adorned the east and west walls of the court. The central sunken rectangle is a draw basin accessed by a short broad stair and not a pool. Waterspouts in the sides of the basin were served by large conduits running under the courtyard floor. Following the partial destruction of the earlier phase, perhaps by earthquake, the east and west apses were added in Late Antiquity and the reused marble columns and their decorative outlookers in front of the facade are Byzantine additions. In later centuries, the ground level rose and the court was occupied by a small chapel and cemetery. Even after the fountain and courtyard were completely buried, the fountain continued to provide water for the village fountains and numerous wells. Myth records two origins for the spring. In one Poseidon's lover Peirene literally dissolved into tears when Artemis accidentally killed her son Kenchrias. The other attributes its creation to the hoof print of the winged horse Pegasus when he stamped in irritation on being bridled by Bellerophon.

View of the Acrocorinth from the ruins of Ancient Corinth (1983)

View of the Acrocorinth from the ruins of Ancient Corinth (1983)
Made by greekstifado - Yanni
Acrocorinth (Greek: Ακροκόρινθος), Upper Corinth, the acropolis of ancient Corinth, is a monolithic rock overseeing the ancient city of Corinth, Greece. It is the most impressive of the acropoleis of mainland Greece, in the estimation of George Forrest. Acrocorinth was continuously occupied from archaic times to the early nineteenth century. The city's archaic acropolis, already an easily defensible position due to its geomorphology, was further heavily fortified during the Byzantine Empire as it became the seat of the strategos of the Thema of Hellas. It was defended against the Crusaders for three years by Leo Sgouros. Afterwards it became a fortress of the Frankish Principality of Achaea, the Venetians and the Ottoman Turks. With its secure water supply, Acrocorinth's fortress was used as the last line of defense in southern Greece because it commanded the Isthmus of Corinth, repelling foes from entry into the Peloponnese peninsula. Three circuit walls formed the man-made defense of the hill. The highest peak on the site was home to a temple to Aphrodite which was converted to a church, and then became a mosque. The American School began excavations on it in 1929. Currently, Acrocorinth is one of the most important medieval castle sites of Greece. In a Corinthian myth related in the second century CE to Pausanias, Briareus, one of the Hecatonchires, was the arbitrator in a dispute between Poseidon and Helios, between the sea and the sun: his verdict was that the Isthmus of Corinth belonged to Poseidon and the acropolis of Corinth (Acrocorinth) to Helios. The Upper Pirene spring is located within the encircling walls. The spring, which is behind the temple, they say was the gift of Asopus to Sisyphus. The latter knew, so runs the legend, that Zeus had ravished Aegina, the daughter of Asopus, but refused to give information to the seeker before he had a spring given him on the Acrocorinthus.

The South Stoa

The South Stoa
Made by JohnMPruitt
The South Stoa, one of the largest porticoed buildings in ancient Greece, was built in the late 4th century B.C., to the south of the race track of Corinth. The excavation of it by the American School of Classical Studies was begun in 1933 and completed in 1948. The Stoa covers an area of about 0.4 hectares and measures 164.38 m. x 25.15 m. Its facade has 71 Doric columns, and it had a second internal colonnade of 34 Ionic columns. the back part of the Stoa consisted of 33 similar two-room apartments. The ground-floor rooms were equipted with wells to keep water and wine cool and served as shops and restaurants. Of these apartments in the Hellenistic Stoa, the three at the west are in a good state of preservation. During the Roman period (1st-3rd century A.D.), the amjority of the rooms in teh Stoa were converted into separate areas of differing sizes and uses. Of these, we may single out: the Agonotheteion, which was connected with the Isthmian games, a propylon, which lead to the South Basilica, a fountain House, the Bouleuterion, which dates from teh second half of the 1st century A.D., a Late Roman bath and public latrine dating from Late Antiquity. About the middle of the 1st century A.D., a paved road leading to Kenchreal ran through the middle of the Stoa. Although the back part of the Stoa gradually lost its fine appearance and unified function, the front part, with the two colonnades, retained its form and unity. The Stoa was finally abandoned in the 6th century A.D.

The Captives Facade

The Captives Facade
Made by JohnMPruitt
This monument is situated between the row of shops that forms the northen side of the forum and the beginning of the Lechaion road. It functioned as an entrance and screen of the basilica (1st century BC) situated at the western side of the Lechaion road. It was a two-storey structure and was built in Parian marble. The name Captives Façade comes from the statues of captured Eastern barbarians that supported the second storey. The remaining two statues (originally there were at least four) are housed in the museum (see the photos below). They looked quite large and probably larger-than-life (I could not measure well their height because they were placed in a high place. This Façade was constructed between 160 and 170 probably to commemorate the victory of the emperor Lucius Verus over the Parthians. Many of the construction materials, however, date back to the Augustan period, and this means that it reused materials from other Augustan monuments, or that the Façade itself is a recomposition to an Augustan building.

The Temple of Apollo - Ancient Corinth (1983)

The Temple of Apollo - Ancient Corinth (1983)
Made by greekstifado - Yanni
The Archaic Temple of Apollo is a Doric peripteral temple, constructed around 540 BCE, originally consiting of 6 by 15 monolithic columns quarried from the limestone ridge near the location of the temple. Today only 7 of its original 38 Doric columns are still standing.They are about 4 Meters tall and 2 Meters in diameter. The stylobate measures 54 by 21 meters. The temple which stands on the hill above the Roman forum at Corinth is one of the Greek buildings which the Roman colonists restored for their use. It had been built to replace an even earlier temple on the same spot. Pausanias described seeing it. At west side of site, remains of the large peripteral Temple of Octavia. The temple was built on a podium surrounded by stoas. These three ornate Corinthian columns, overarched by a restored architrave, are all that remain of the temple, dedicated to the sister of the Emperor Augustus.

Corinthos train station 2

Corinthos train station 2
Made by vasada | magiclight.gr
Επρεπε να τσακωθω με το σεκιουριτα για να βγαλω φωτογραφιες στο σταθμο. Απαγορευεται λεει ο ΟΣΕ. Επισημως, εχει αναγκαστει να παραδεχτει οτι δεν υπαρχει καμια απαγορευση της φωτογραφισης. Ανεπισημως, ολοι οι εργαζομενοι γνωριζουν οτι η φωτογραφιση επιτρεπεται μονο με εγγραφη αδεια. Πρακτικα πρεπει να εχεις ορεξη να τσακωθεις...

An Alsthom resting at Korinthos.

An Alsthom resting at Korinthos.
Made by Marra Man
Photo Taken : 24.02.1995. One of the OSE Metre gauge type CC1600's or class A9200 no.A9204 is seen stabled in the early morning light standing in the goods yard at Korinthos on the Peloponnese Metre gauge system. These 1176kW Co-CoDE locos were built by Alsthom in France in 1967 and are fitted with Pielstick 12PA4V-185 engines. OSE had 10 of them built new but they have largely been replaced in recent years by an influx of multiple units and gauge conversion of trunk part of the route between Athens and Korinth.

The Temple of Apollo - Ancient Corinth (1983)

The Temple of Apollo - Ancient Corinth (1983)
Made by greekstifado - Yanni
The Temple of Apollo, with its seven Doric columns made of tufa and covered with white stucco, , is one of the few surviving buildings from the Classical Greek period, dates to the 6th or 5th century BC. Smaller excavations surround the main site. In one is a Roman odeon, also endowed by Herodes Atticus,; a large Greek theater (used by the Romans for gladiatorial sea battles), and an Asklepion. This temple is at the highest point on the site of ancient Corinth.

Terre is of Greek Heritage

Terre is of Greek Heritage
Made by JohnMPruitt
Terre's family has Greek blood in them. This explains why Terre can be a slightly picky eater except when it comes to Moussaka or as Terre (who was warned by her family not to) calls it.... Greek Lasagna.

1ο Χαριστικό Παζάρι της πρωτοβουλίας "Στην Κόρινθο με Ποδήλατο"

1ο Χαριστικό Παζάρι της πρωτοβουλίας "Στην Κόρινθο με Ποδήλατο"
Made by dpietris
Πραγματοποιήθηκε το σάββατο 15/1, το χαριστικό παζάρι από την πρωτοβουλία “Στην Κόρινθο με Ποδήλατο” στην στοά της Δημοτικής Αγοράς Κορίνθου.

Baby Alco at dawn on the Peloponnese.

Baby Alco at dawn on the Peloponnese.
Made by Marra Man
Photo Taken : 24.02.1995. 1965 Alco built type DL537 no.A9109 comes to a halt in Korinthos station with the early morning van train from Piraeus to Kalamata while in the distance the station pilot a Mitsubishi built class A9400 no.9404 sits idle.

Συνεργεῖον γραμμῆς ἐκ σκευοφόρου Ρίνγκχόφφερ(?) ΣΠΑΠ

Συνεργεῖον γραμμῆς ἐκ σκευοφόρου Ρίνγκχόφφερ(?) ΣΠΑΠ
Made by sbaros1
Τσιόκα, Σουφλιᾶ καί Τσιαμαντή, μαφιόζοι καί ρουφιάνοι σέ τοῦτα δῶ τά σίδερα κακιά σκουριά δέν πιάνει!

Baby Room 04

Baby Room 04
Made by gpalouk
Το δωμάτιο του μωρού μας. Η κούνια του. Πίνακες για διακόσμηση στον τοίχο της κρεβατοκάμαρας.

pegasus

pegasus
Made by vasada | magiclight.gr
Pegasus, the mythological flying horse. Το αγαλμα του Πήγασου, στην πλατεια Φλοίσβου στο λιμανι της Κορίνθου.

3rd Rifle Company

3rd Rifle Company
Made by p_k_quasar
Photo of (almost) the whole 3rd rifle company at the basic training camp of Corinth (6th regiment of Infantry).

Corinth, Greece

Corinth, Greece
Made by VikingAmerican
This is the view from Acrocorinth above Ancient Corinth and modern Corinth. That's the Ionian Sea. Summer 2009

image_5

image_5
Made by ioanna.p
watermarked with picmarkr.com

Πανελλαδική Ποδηλατοπορεία 05/11/2011

Πανελλαδική Ποδηλατοπορεία 05/11/2011
Made by dpietris
η εκκίνηση από την πλατεία περιβολάκια

20100502-7428-Corinth-6521_0990

20100502-7428-Corinth-6521_0990
Made by g7ahn
MAN metre gauge DMU-2 6521 enters Corinth New Station, Greece.

Videos:

Bungy Jumping in the Corinth Canal
jumping into the Corinth canal in Greece. Featuring Alvaro, Dan, Anthony and Amy (in that order)....Bungy bungee corinth canal greece holiday


Ancient Corinth
Biblical Description of Paul's Preaching in Corinth...Corinth Paul Bible Preaching


Temple of Apollos (Corinth)
Description of the Significance of the Temple of Apollo in Ancient City of Corinth...Corinth Apollo Apollos Temple Idol Paul Bible Prophet Prophecy


Corinth Tour Part 2
A brief view of our fair city.......Part 2...Corinth Tour


Corinth Canal
visits the Corinth Canal. Her Great Granduncle Petros Protopapadakis was the Greek engineer for the French when they built the canal 1891-1893....Corinth Canal


Some of our Favorite restaurants in Corinth, MS
Just a few places to eat while your in our little city...corinth ms restaurants food


ancient corinth
social studies school project...school project


Greece: Corinth Canal transit, #1
1881 and 1893, connects the Gulf of Corinth with the Aegean Sea's Saronic Gulf. Cutting through the Isthmus of Corinth, the canal separates the Peloponnesian peninsula from


Corinth Greece
A little montage of our visit to the ruins of Corinth Greece. Corinth, or Korinth (Greek: Κόρινθος, Kórinthos) is a city in Greece.


Veteran's Day Corinth, MS 2007
Parade in Corinth, MS 2007 for Veteran's Day...veteran parade local mississippi corinth 2007 military holiday celebrate


Corinth Canal
The Corinth Canal is a canal connecting the Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf in the Aegean Sea. The canal is 6.3 km in length and was built


Corinth Promo
November 2006...corinth christian youth documentary


Corinth Canal
Canal in Corinth (Ismos)...Corinth Korinthos Canal Kanal


Octapus in Corinth
What's this? Octapus? Take it mori hamoura! Now is the time!...octapus fishing greece corinth korinthos fish hit gr


Some Places to Stay in Corinth
A few places to stay if you should decide to visit our fair city...corinth ms hotels sleep


Ancient Toilets (Corinth)
Description of Ancient Toilets...Ancient Toilets Corinth


Greece: Corinth Canal transit, #3
1881 and 1893, connects the Gulf of Corinth with the Aegean Sea's Saronic Gulf. Cutting through the Isthmus of Corinth, the canal separates the Peloponnesian peninsula from


Rion-Antirion bridge, Corinth, Greece
totally cool bridge in Greece...rion-antirion bridge corinth greece




Nearest places of interest:

Δημοτικό Αθλητικό Κέντρο Κορίνθου
ΕΘΝΙΚΟ ΣΤΑΔΙΟ ΚΟΡΙΝΘΟΥ
6ο Σύνταγμα Πεζικού
πεδίο βολής 6ου ΣΠ
  Central Park Perivolakia
Square Eleftherios Venizelos
la Basilica Paleocristiana di San Leonida
Blue Dolphin Camping

Popular places:

Athens
Thessaloniki
Greece
Patras
Ioannina
Piraeus
Chania
Sparta

PanoramioFlickr CC