Chennai pronunciation (help·info) (Tamil: ©©), formerly known as Madras pronunciation (help·info), is the capital of the state of Tamil Nadu and is India's fourth largest metropolitan city. It is located on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal. With an estimated population of 6.91 million (2006),^ the 368-year-old city is the 34th largest metropolitan area in the world.
- Connemara Library, Pantheon Road, Egmore
- Elliots Beach, is in the Besant Nagar suburb of Chennai. Sometimes called Besant Nagar beach, after the area it is located in. It popular a place to cool off from the city heat. It is a very nice beach, safe and good place for picnicking.
- Breezy Beach is located in the quiet neighbourhood of Valmiki Nagar. It is smaller and less popular than the Elliots beach. This beach is not as commercialized as the Elliots beach, and is hence more quiet and peaceful.
- Ennore Port,and Ennore foundaries
- Fort St. George, built in 1653 by the English Company of the Eastern Indies (CAIO), houses the Secretariat and the legislative Parliament of Nadu Tamil. There is a museum presenting of the objects of the time of the domination of the CAIO, and a banquetting suite going back to 1802 where the portraits of the governors of the fort are hung. The fort comprises also the oldest church Anglican of India, the church of St Mary.
- Government Museum, or National Art Gallery on Pantheon Road, comprises an interesting archaeological collection and a room holding a significant and superb collection of Chola bronzes. One building has modern works, while the other has historical works.
- Guindy National Park, The smallest national park in India and one of the few located in a metro. The park is an extension of the grounds surrounding the official residence of the governors of Tamilnadu.
- Guindy Snake Park, next to the Guindy National Park. See the deadly King Cobra, pythons and vipers as well as other reptiles. There is a Children's Park adjacent with collections of animals and birds.
- Marina Beach, one of the worlds longest beaches is 13 km long. The tsunami on December 26, 2004, caused massive death and destruction along the beach. It has been difficult to recover, but the community is working hard to make the area attractive to tourists and vacationers once again.
- Integral Coach Factory- The Railway Coach manufacturing unit of Indian Railways, which has a Rail Museum.
- National Shrine of St.Thomas Basilica Christians believe that one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ came to India in A.D.52 and died in A.D.72. His body was buried in Mylapore and the national Shrine of St.Thomas basilica, Santhome, Mylapore is built over the tomb of the Apostle.
- St. Thomas Mount The hill where it is said St. Thomas died.
- Valluvar Kottam, Nungambakkam An auditorium built in memory of the poet Thiruvalluvar. All of the verses of the poet's 'The Thirukkural' are inscribed on the pillars around the auditorium.
Temples and churches
- Aarupadaiveedu Temple, Besant Nagar (Kalakshetra Colony)
- Ananthaa Padmanabha Swaamy Temple, Adayar
- Annai Velankani Church, Besant Nagar
- Ashtalakshmi Temple, Besant Nagar (Kalakshetra Colony) The temple is dedicated to Goddess Lakshmi. It looks different then other South Indian temples as it is of modern construction, less then 20 years old.
- Ayya Vaikundar Nizhal Thangal, Manali Pudunagar
- CSI Church House Of Prayer, Adayar
- CSI Church, Near Gemini fly over
- CSI Wesley Church, Royapettah
- Guruvayurappan Temple, Nanganallur
- ISKCON (Hare Rama Hare Krishna) Temple, Injambakkam
- ISKCON Temple, Perumbur
- Jain Temple, Kutchery Road, Mylapore
- Kaalikaambaal Temple, Parrys
- Kapaleeshwara Temple, Mylapore
- Kaaraneeswarar Temple, Saidapet
- Luz Anjaneyaar Temple, Mylapore
- Madhya Kailash Temple, Adyar
- Mary's Church, Built in 1680 it is the oldest Anglican Church in India. Robert Clive and Governor Elihu Yale (who later formed Yale University in the USA, were married here.)
- Marundeeshwar temple, Thiruvanmiyur
- Mundakaneeyaman Temple, Mylapore
- Nizhal Thangal, Oragadam
- Parthasarathy Temple, Triplicane
- Periaapaalayath Amman Temple, Adayar
- Puttaparthi Sairam Temple Sundaram, Chamiers Road
- Qurasani Mosque, Adayar (near new bus terminus)
- Ragavendhra Temple, Triplicane
- Ratnagirishwarar Temple, Besant Nagar (near RBI)
- Santhome Cathedral Basilica,Mylapore, Santhome, where the Apostle St.Thomas is buried according to christian tradition
- Shirdi Sai Temple, Mylapore Tank
- Shiva Vishnu Temple, T.Nagar
- Sringeri Saradha Peetam Temple, Venkatnarayana Road, T.Nagar
- Sri Santhana Srinivasa Perumal Temple-Mogappair
- St. Thomas Orthodox Cathedral, Stringer's St, Broadway, Chennai-600108
- St. Peters & St. Paul Orthodox Chapel, Koyambedu, Near Anna Nagar, Chennai-600107
- Tamil Baptist Church-91, Medawakkam Tank Road, Near Kellys Signal, Kilpauk, Chennai-600010
- Thirumalai Thirupathi Devasthanam Temple, Venkatnarayana Road, T.Nagar
- Thousand Lights Mosque, Anna Salai
- Vadapalani Murugan Temple, Vadapalani
- Vadivudai Amman Temple, Tiruvottiyur
- Varasidi vinayakar Temple, Besant Nagar (near bus terminus)
- Visvaroopa Baktha Anjaneyaar Temple, Ramnagar, Nanganallur (The idol is 32ft. in height)
Our Apartment in Chennai
This is our wonderful apartmetn in Chennai. The rent? $160/month...Home apartment chennai
Chennai Madras...Chennai Madras
Street Cooking - Chennai, India
Post-cricket dinner on the streets of Chennai, India....street food chennai madras tamil nadu india
Driving in Chennai (Madras) India
Driving around in Chennai India...India Chennai Asia outsourcing global sourcing
One of Crane's Dance Lessons in Chennai, India
of Music at a Carnatic Dance lesson in Chennai. Video by Michael T. Balonek...Crane Potsdam NY Tamil Nadu Chennai Music dance carnatic traditional
Marina beach in Chennai
Slow morning time in Marina beach in Chennai, India. People gather in small groups, walk, jog, do group exercise, do laughing session and relax
Indian Airlines Flight See the Sun Rise at 6.20 over chennai
FROM COCHIN AND REACHED CHENNAI AT EXACTLY 6.45.BUT REALLY GOOD. IF U LIKE IT DO POST COMMENTS....INDIAN AIRLINES COCHIN CHENNAI FLIGHT SUN
chennai kathal avec barathe...tamil chennai kathal
Emirtaes Boeing 777-200ER inbound to Chennai
Dubai to Chennai / Madras with A6-EMI....Emirates Boeing 777 777-200 Chennai Dubai landing wing window paramount embraer korean air kingfisher
Second Boat Trip! Hot Chennai Men!!
boys in our boat were hot too!...sea ocean swim boys underwear wet triplicane chennai boat boatride drunk dive water hot booze adventure kasimedu naked
Chennai - Elliots Beach
Chennai Elliots Beach - Aug 28,06...Chennai Beach
Chennai, India's Dirty Truth
exaggerating when I say there is a constant smell of urine in Chennai.......India Chennai PP Movie Truth Peeing Stinky Smell Funny
Second Boat Trip! Hot Chennai Men!!
underwear frolic in 30 feet deep water!...sea ocean swim boys underwear wet triplicane chennai boat boatride drunk dive water hot booze adventure kasimedu naked
Flight takes off from Chennai Air Port
Flight takes off from Chennai Air Port...Flight Takeoff Chennai Airport flying airplane runway airbus
Bharatanatyam in Chennai
Young dancer in March, 2006. This item is a padam in Hoseini Raga. indian2dance writes that this is T. Sangeetha of Pondicherry, with her guru
Typical traffic in Chennai, India...Traffic Chennai India
a ride through night time Chennai, India in a Tuc Tuc taxi. Note the continual beeps from all the traffic....Chennai traffic night
Chennai its food its people
My sincere gratitude to the many people of Chennai who made this trip truly amazing....cooking eating food chennai iggli ghee madras India gromik nagproductions japan sendai
Nearest places of interest:
|Fort St George|
M. A. Chidambaram Stadium